Model Order Selection for Short Data: An Exponential Fitting Test (EFT)
© Angela Quinlan et al. 2007
Received: 29 September 2005
Accepted: 4 June 2006
Published: 4 October 2006
High-resolution methods for estimating signal processing parameters such as bearing angles in array processing or frequencies in spectral analysis may be hampered by the model order if poorly selected. As classical model order selection methods fail when the number of snapshots available is small, this paper proposes a method for noncoherent sources, which continues to work under such conditions, while maintaining low computational complexity. For white Gaussian noise and short data we show that the profile of the ordered noise eigenvalues is seen to approximately fit an exponential law. This fact is used to provide a recursive algorithm which detects a mismatch between the observed eigenvalue profile and the theoretical noise-only eigenvalue profile, as such a mismatch indicates the presence of a source. Moreover this proposed method allows the probability of false alarm to be controlled and predefined, which is a crucial point for systems such as RADARs. Results of simulations are provided in order to show the capabilities of the algorithm.
- Yin YQ, Krishnaiah PR: On some nonparametric methods for detection of the number of signals. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1987,35(11):1533-1538. 10.1109/TASSP.1987.1165063MathSciNetView Article
- Scharf LL, Tufts DW: Rank reduction for modeling stationary signals. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1987,35(3):350-355. 10.1109/TASSP.1987.1165136View Article
- Anderson TW: Asymptotic theory for principal component analysis. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 1963, 34: 122-148. 10.1214/aoms/1177704248MathSciNetView ArticleMATH
- James AT: Test of equality of latent roots of the covariance matrix. Journal of Multivariate Analysis 1969, 205-218.
- Chen W, Wong KM, Reilly J: Detection of the number of signals: a predicted eigen-threshold approach. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 1991,39(5):1088-1098. 10.1109/78.80959View Article
- Stoica P, Selén Y: Model-order selection: a review of information criterion rules. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 2004,21(4):36-47. 10.1109/MSP.2004.1311138View Article
- Akaike H: A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 1974,19(6):716-723. 10.1109/TAC.1974.1100705MathSciNetView ArticleMATH
- Rissanen J: Modeling by shortest data description length. Automatica 1978,14(5):465-471. 10.1016/0005-1098(78)90005-5View ArticleMATH
- Wax M, Kailath T: Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1985,33(2):387-392. 10.1109/TASSP.1985.1164557MathSciNetView Article
- Wax M, Ziskind I: Detection of the number of coherent signals by the MDL principle. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1989,37(8):1190-1196. 10.1109/29.31267View Article
- Kaveh M, Wang H, Hung H: On the theoretical performance of a class of estimators of the number of narrow-band sources. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1987,35(9):1350-1352. 10.1109/TASSP.1987.1165277View Article
- Wong KM, Zhang Q-T, Reilly J, Yip P: On information theoretic criteria for determining the number of signals in high resolution array processing. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1990,38(11):1959-1971. 10.1109/29.103097View ArticleMATH
- Wu Q, Fuhrmann D: A parametric method for determining the number of signals in narrow-band direction finding. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 1991,39(8):1848-1857. 10.1109/78.91155View Article
- Djurić PM: Model selection based on asymptotic Bayes theory. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE SP Workshop on Statistical Signal and Array Processing, June 1994, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada 7-10.View Article
- Bishop WB, Djurić PM: Model order selection of damped sinusoids in noise by predictive densities. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 1996,44(3):611-619. 10.1109/78.489034View Article
- Van Trees HL: Optimum Array Processing, Detection, Estimation and Modulation Theory. Volume 4. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 2002.
- Di A: Multiple source location - a matrix decomposition approach. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1985,33(5):1086-1091. 10.1109/TASSP.1985.1164700View Article
- Wu H-T, Yang J-F, Chen F-K: Source number estimators using transformed Gerschgorin radii. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 1995,43(6):1325-1333. 10.1109/78.388844View Article
- Liavas AP, Regalia PA: On the behavior of information theoretic criteria for model order selection. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 2001,49(8):1689-1695. 10.1109/78.934138View Article
- Quinlan A, Barbot J-P, Larzabal P: Automatic determination of the number of targets present when using the time reversal operator. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2006,119(4):2220-2225. 10.1121/1.2180207View Article
- Tanter M, Thomas J-L, Fink M: Time reversal and the inverse filter. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 2000,108(1):223-234. 10.1121/1.429459View Article
- Grouffaud J, Larzabal P, Clergeot H: Some properties of ordered eigenvalues of a Wishart matrix: application in detection test and model order selection. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '96), May 1996, Atlanta, Ga, USA 5: 2463-2466.
- Valaee S, Kabal P: An information theoretic approach to source enumeration in array signal processing. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 2004,52(5):1171-1178. 10.1109/TSP.2004.826168MathSciNetView Article
- Champagne B: Adaptive eigendecomposition of data covariance matrices based on first-order perturbations. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 1994,42(10):2758-2770. 10.1109/78.324741View Article
- Ziskind I, Wax M: Maximum likelihood localization of multiple sources by alternating projection. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1988,36(10):1553-1560. 10.1109/29.7543View ArticleMATH
- Johnson NL, Kotz S: Distributions in Statistics: Continuous Multivariate Distributions. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 1972. chapter 38-39MATH
- Krishnaiah PR, Schurmann FJ: On the evaluation of some distribution that arise in simultaneous tests of the equality of the latents roots of the covariance matrix. Journal of Multivariate Analysis 1974, 4: 265-282. 10.1016/0047-259X(74)90033-5MathSciNetView Article
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.